Younger children are most at risk of being bitten by animals, as they have limited understanding of animal behaviour and are more likely to aggravate or intimidate animals.
Safety tips for animals and pets include:
- Teach children how to behave toward animals.
- Check with the owner if it is OK to pat the animal.
Safety tips for dogs:
- Ensure your dog is properly trained to sit, stay, drop and come.
- Choose a breed that is suited to the family’s lifestyle and environment.
- Ensure that your dog always has a safe place to go where it won’t be bothered by humans
For more information visit:
Dogs and Kids – http://ww2.rch.org.au/emplibrary/safetycentre/DogsAndKidsV3.pdf
We Are Family – http://wearefamily.nsw.gov.au/
Delta Society Australia -http://www.deltasociety.com.au/pages/delta-dog-safe.html